(Uni) Cystic Ameloblastoma

Congratulations, you are Correct!

The unilocular radiolucency with scalloped border combined with the jaw expansion, location and age of this patient are all a good clinical and radiographic presentation for (uni)cytic ameloblastoma.

Cystic ameloblastomas constitute 13% of all ameloblastomas. They are radiographically unilocular and in 90% of the time are associated with the crown of an impacted tooth. The other 10% are unilocular radiolucency usually associated with teeth such as between teeth. The cystic ameloblastoma patients are much younger in age and are around 14-20 years of age.

Ameloblastoma, if not treated, can reach very large sizes, causing facial disfigurement. It loosens, displaces and resorbs adjacent teeth. Ameloblastomas are usually not painful unless infected, in which case they can be mildly painful. Parasthesia and anesthesia are extremely rare, unless the lesion is very large in size. Also, cystic ameloblastoma tends to expand rather than perforate the cortical bone; if the latter occurs with extension into the adjacent soft tissue, it has a higher tendency for recurrence and therefore a worse prognosis than cases in which the ameloblastoma is completely encased by bone. Curettage is the treatment of choice for the unicystic type.

References

1. Shear M. Odontogenic keratocysts: natural history and immunohistochemistry. Oral Maxillofacial Surg Clin N Am. 2003; 15: 347-362.

2. Oda D, Rivera V et al. Odontogenic keratocyst: the northwestern USA experience. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2000 Feb 15; 1(2): 60-74.

3. Zachariades N, Papanicolaou S et al. Odontogenic keratocysts: Review of the literature and report of sixteen cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1985; 43: 177-182.

4. Reichart PA, Philipsen HP. et al. Ameloblastoma: biological profile of 3677 cases. Eur J Cancer B Oral Oncol 1995;31B:86–99.

5. Julio César Bisinelli, Sérgio Ioshii, Luciana Borges Retamoso, Simone Tetü Moysés, Samuel Jorge Moysés and Orlando Motohiro Tanaka. Conservative treatment of unicystic ameloblastoma. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. Volume 137, Issue 3, March 2010, Pages 396-400.

6. Gardner DG. Some current concepts on the pathology of ameloblastomas. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1996; 82:660-669.

7. Sharma R, Marwah N. Odontogenic myxoma of the mandible: a case report. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2003;46:84-86.

8. Simon EN, Merkx MA. Odontogenic myxoma: a clinicopathological study of 33 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004;33:333-337.

9. Moshiri, S., Oda, D.et al. Odontogenic myxoma: a clinical and immunohistochemical study. J Oral Path 1992;21:401-403.

10. Kumar ND, Sherubin JE, Raman U, Shettar S. Solitary bone cyst. Indian J Dent Res. 2011 Jan-Feb;22(1):172-4.

11. Kahler B. Traumatic bone cyst suggestive of a chronic periapical abscess: A case report. Aust Endod J. 2011 Aug;37(2):73-5.